6.15.2005

The Ride to End All Rides

Being in Japan can be equated with a roller coaster experience. Before you get on there is huge anticipation and giddy excitement for what is to come. Sometimes, if you're a wimp like me and really dislike riding roller coasters, you don't even want to get on which was certainly the case when I was first thinking of coming to Japan. However, you know its going to be great once the ride is over so you get on anyways.

But like any roller coaster there are highs and lows. My last few posts were written on extreme high points of my journey where I was looking out from the top of the ride and seeing nothing but the whole amusement park known as Japan. However, since Friday I have felt all mixed up inside and have felt like I'm falling perilously to my death (ok, well not that extreme but it worked well with my analogy).

And so I came upon today where I barely made it through my classes and prayed several times that God would give me something to salvage my day and change my outlook. And then it happened. My Japanese father, who I haven't really bonded with in the past several days probably because I have had more of a stand offish demeanor at school decided he was going to spend an entire hour just practicing kanji (those funny Japanese characters) with me. It was so great! I had started to feel distant from this school and with that one simple kanji lesson I had people all around trying to help and teach me and I once again felt like a part of the community even though I am quite different from them.

To top it off I then went to language class with my friend and afterwards another girl who I study with on Thursday nights came to the library to study English with me. We got to talking awhile and I told her about the English Bible lessons we have at church and she seemed interested and may come one of these days. So yet another inroad in the most unlikely of places!

So with all of the highs and lows, I conclude the best thing is merely to get on the ride and enjoy it for all its worth.

4 comments:

Mgam said...

Hang in there buddy. I'm glad things are looking up.

ann said...

Well said, Blake-o. In the words of Caedmon's Call, you've got to "walk the rocks to see the mountain's view."

Gambatte, kudasai! Fighto fighto! Haha... sorry, couldn't resist. :)

Karen said...

Well said, Blake. Just remember that the lows always follow the highs in life and on roller coasters. Keeping that in mind always helps me to fall more softly and in God's care. And it often helps me to appreciate the blessings even more as they are just around the corner again, and sometimes even right there where I am at that moment! Take care.

Anonymous said...

You may remember a song that we listened to together at work one day by Eli about valleys ...
"it's from here that we measure just how far we must go ... you don't know how tall you stand until you fall; that's what valleys are for." It seems that God often uses valleys to remind of us of our dependence upon him and the many blessings that he does give us. You are an encouragement to us all, and we pray for you frequently.