10.17.2004

Vote Values

Disclaimer: This post will no doubt get me in trouble with my beloved Democrat friends. It is a bit too concise and to the point to thoroughly get my ideas across and granted my sweeping statements as always are to provoke thought and dialogue. So have at it!

Church today was especially interesting. How can you beat a service that combines two of my favorite areas of study: politics and God? You simply can't.

The question that arose today was that our nation is under a state of moral decline. This is easily obvious to anyone who has a set of clear moral beliefs. Since that statement could get me in trouble I will state it as a clear sense of Christian moral beliefs.

Need evidence? The issue of gay marriage. Liberal judges over-turning rulings of partial-birth abortion. Constant bickering and back-biting between Presidential canidates. The liberal left waging a hate war against a president who is trying to lead the nation against the evils of terrorism.

Somewhere in our rush to separate church and state and encourage tolerance we got off the mark. Call it post-modernism, call it a bluring of reality, whatever term you may use to define it not every viewpoint is correct and equally right. That philosophy, which is adhered to in our schools, politics, and even religious views is leading us straight into decline.

What needs to be done? Can Christians passively stand on the sidelines? As Kent Allen says: "Vote values." Take an active role in politics and carefully think on the issues that matter. Do not be deceived by Michael Moore or CNN, be selective and rational about what you believe. Perhaps most importantly though is for Christians to get involved. Especially us young Americans who tend to spend more time discussing movies and television and not involving ourselves in the world around us. Its time to step it up a notch and get going. In the words of George Bush, "Let's roll!"


5 comments:

kew said...

So what exactly do you think about gay marriages and abortion? Do you consider your morality superior, and thus you and similarminded have the superiority to disclaim the personal freedom of an individual to decide about his/her life by his/her own?

I'm just curious about this. I have nothing against any religion, but I have something against people who have a need to mess up with other people's business. As long as it doesn't hurt anyone, I consider each person rightfull to lead his or hers own life as wishes.

Blakewell said...

I do believe there is one right way. The term superior has negative conotations and so thus I wouldn't say that my Christian-Judeo beliefs are superior.

God gave man the right to choose, beginning with Adam and Eve in the garden. Unfortunately they chose to sin and thus a stricter moral law had to be imposed on humankind as a result of this sin. We still have that right to choose today, but we also have laws to keep us in check of doing right over wrong.

If we take one of the issues that I glossed over, abortion, we see that it does indeed "hurt someone" as you gave as your basis for morality. Or at least thats what I assume it to be, correct me if I'm wrong. The unborn child loses his/her life based on the mother's "right to choose." The usage of the term "pro-choice" is a clever way to distract people from the real issue. By using "pro-choice" you focus back on the mother instead of the life of the unborn child.

I believe that the laws of America are created to protect Americans from harm. There is no law forcing one particular religion or belief system. There are however laws to benefit society as a whole which is why I am on the conservative side of most issues.

Anonymous said...

i love you.

-your little brother

ann said...

Hmm, for some reason I feel compelled to respond. :)

First of all I'd like to give a hearty amen to brother Gabe. He said a lot of what I would want to say, so I will try not to repeat him here.

When I read the gospels, I do not see Jesus sending around petitions or picketing in the streets for the legislation of God's laws in secular government. Instead I see Jesus criticizing the people who wanted to take God's law to a governmental, legalistic realm. By "voting for values" as you put it, it seems like Christians are trying to pass the buck on actual hands on ministry. Hey, if we can outlaw abortion and gay marriages then we've taken care of the problem, right? Wrong. The issue is not with the Constitution or anything like that, the issue is of the heart. So how are we truly ministering by publically (and loudly) judging people and "forcing them" to adhere to the law of God? To me it just all sounds very legalistic. But I think Gabe handled this point well.

Also when you (or our beloved preacher) say something like "vote values," it makes me think of what values I want to vote for. I know my personal pet values, and I will support a candidate who stands for those values. That whole "couching" of the phrase makes it sounds like there is only one way to "vote values," which is ridiculous.

But in closing I will echo your statement-- don't just buy into what Fox News or Jerry Falwell or anyone else tells you is what good Christian people believe and do. Think about the issues that matter. Those issues probably won't be found on any ballot. Instead they can be found all around us every day-- the hearts and souls of God's children. Perhaps the most important thing to do is get involved-- get involved in the lives of those around you. Some people tend to spend more time discussing politics and philosophies and not involving ourselves in the world around us. Its time to step it up a notch and get going. In the words of Jesus, "All people will know you are my disciples if you love one another." (John 13:35)

You know, if you weren't one of my best friends you'd drive me nuts. :)

kew said...

Ah, how, but this is an issue about faith. People who consider science to be right version instead of God, believe that a fetus in the age of abortion being possible isn't an evolved individual yet - s/he is potential to be one, yes.
As I see, abortion is a woman's own decision, and sometimes mother-to-be isn't capable of providing decent life for the unborn child. And, there are other reasons justifying ethically abortion - from my point of the view. I can't say what I would do, since I try to avoid that situation that I'd have to do such a big decision.

Anyhow, laws aren't about beliefs, they are about being fair to biggest amount of people, and considering the wellbeing of the masses. I don't think that religion should be making standards, since people who believe can always and will always act according their faith, and nothing can or will take it away. But other people, who might not believe in the same things, would have the freedom of living their lifes as thei see best.

I myself am not saying that I accept all things others are doing, by any rate. But I don't consider my personal view of the world is the fittest for all, and I don't think I have the right to make decisions for all.

I live in a country where abortion is legal to anyone who needs it, but it isn't muchly used. People know how to think and feel themselves, and do the right thing. Freedom to do a certain thing doesn't mean that it will be used just for the heck of it.

As far as I know - God does the judgement, not men? And freedom of choise is a freedom of individuals - because each will be judged by his/hers actions? Am I right or am I misinterpreting something?

Anyhow, are you unwilling to tell me your opinion about gay-'marriages' (since they only provide legal rights of married couples to gay-couples, not 'heavenly')?